Thanks for choosing to holiday at Wheatland Farm – your stay in the eco lodges means we can manage the land for wildlife.
Because of Covid19 we’ve moved your welcome information online. Here’s what you need to know to settle in. Got a question? Ask us on Facebook, via text or WhatsApp to 07780708747, or ring the house 0183783499. You can still knock the farmhouse door too. Click for information specific on:
Here’s the general information:
Please use the hand sanitisers and hand wash stations around Wheatland Farm. Tell us if they need refilling. Respect social distancing guidelines (and keep dogs on leads please).
What’s open in this part of Devon as lockdown eases
We’ll be trying to keep this up to date – please also share your own experiences. Here’s a round-up from mid April 2021.
Food for self catering
- Supermarkets – most deliver here. The address is Wheatland Farm, Winkleigh.
- Fiona’s Farm Shop – will deliver pies and cakes ready for your arrival. 0183783382.
- Sam’s Cider on Hatherleigh Road, Winkleigh. Open for collections 01837 83560. Locally made cider from locally grown apples.
- Wine and Beer From Grape and Grain, Crediton. Bruce lives in Winkleigh and can deliver on his way home. Ring 01363 777719 and mention Wheatland Farm.
- Localfarmbox.co.uk will deliver to Wheatland Farm and offer veg, cheese, some meat.
- Barry, Winkleigh’s Mad Butcher, offers BBQ packs to pre-order and collect, as well as the usual shop service.
- Chulmleigh bakery does bread, pies, etc and also sells loaves via Fiona’s Farm Shop and Londis in Winkleigh village.
- Local potatoes are available, at cost, from the farmhouse.
Things to Do
Try our extensive list of ideas for things to do while at Wheatland Farm. You’ll find ideas for kids and for adults. Please check with companies for their current opening arrangements, but here’s a few things that are bound to be available.
We feel the best and safest of Devon is likely to be outdoors this summer. Try the Tarka Trail through North Devon, starting at Meeth, Puffing Billy, or Barnstaple. The most adventurous can do a 40 mile round trip from the farm to Barnstaple (and back on the train to Eggesford). Another full day excursion is the Exe Estuary Trail, by bike from Exeter to Starcross, ferry to Exmouth (check the time table first), and back up the other side. You can hire bikes from the quay. If you prefer water to wheels, try renting a canoe or kayak in Exeter. Kayak Hub offers a good independent service, or try Saddles and Paddles on the quay. Exeter canal is super easy for first timers. For anyone who likes a wild landscape, the northern part of Dartmoor beckons, and Belstone is a good place to start. Or explore the tree tops of Haldon Forest at the Go Ape high wire park. Not cheap, but a memorable day that we’ve enjoyed several times.
What if it’s wet
We recommend you go out anyway. It’s rarely as bad as it looks. But if you’re staying in, have you tried the peg game? The aim is to get a clothes peg on someone without them noticing, and see how long / how many you can get away with.
Alternatively, make some microwave cupcakes and decorate them. Beat together 1/4 pack of butter, or equivalent, 1 egg, 2 level spoons of sugar and 2 hugely-heaped-high spoons of flour. Add any flavours you fancy, pop into the silicone cup cake molds you should find in your accommodation (we’ve got spares if they are missing) and cook for a couple of minutes. Cool, then decorate.
See Ian to talk about bikes, especially if you want to borrow a bike for the length of your stay. Please don’t share them between children from different households this summer. Use your own helmets if you can, and use the bucket and soapy water to wash down the handlebars / saddle if you’re using a bike from the rack.
Other Essential Services
- Winkleigh Post Office – open as usual, with social distancing
- Londis – open as usual for basic supplies, but with limited numbers allowed in at any one time.
- Vet – 01884 860236 – the practice is in the square in Winkleigh.
- Doctor – Wallingbrook Health Centre (Chulmleigh and Winkleigh) 01769 580295.
- Catkin Blooms. Lovely local flowers and gifts in Winkleigh, just around from the post office. 07870 166985
If you get Covid19 Symptoms
- You’ll need to tell us at the farmhouse
- You’ll need to book a test
- If it’s positive, you need to return home to recover and self isolate
- Don’t delay – if you wait and get too ill to travel, you’ll could end up paying for another week and ruining someone else’s holiday.
In An Emergency
In a life threatening emergency, ring 999 for an ambulance or police. Your address is EX19 8DJ, Wheatland Farm. Nearest A&E departments are at the North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple and at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Wonford site, both about 25 miles, both signed from all major routes. There is a minor injuries unit in Okehampton Medical Centre, EX20 1AY, open from 8:15 until 18:00. 01837 52233. There is a first aid kit in the farmhouse conservatory – please let us know if you’ve taken things from it, and please return it promptly if you take it away.