We’re delighted to have won awards for our sustainable tourism
We’ve been in business since 2006 and have held ‘gold’ level approval from the Devon Wildlife Trust since 2007 and from the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS) 2008-2016*, showing that we manage our land sustainably, promote local produce, educate people about wildlife and farming, help people access wildlife, run our business sustainably, and follow environmental good practice.
We’ve also won a number of other awards for good environmental practice (see below). That’s great, and we’re proud of them. But we’d be even more pleased to help other businesses go greener too. So please get in touch if you want to swap ideas, work together, or ask our experience. We’d love to hear from you.
- 2015 Gold in the VisitEngland awards, sustainable tourism category
- 2015 Gold in the South West Tourism Excellence Awards, sustainable tourism category
- 2014 Gold in the Devon Tourism Awards, sustainable tourism category
- 2014 Finalist in the Green Tourism Business Scheme’s Goldstar Awards
- 2012 Gold for sustainable tourism in the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence
- 2011-12 Gold for sustainable tourism across the South West region in the South West Tourism Excellence Awards
- 2011 Gold for Sustainble Tourism in the Visit Devon Tourism Awards
- 2011 Winner in the Devon Environmental Business Awards – Low Carbon Business Category
- 2011 in The Times ‘Top 20 Farm Stays’ for our environmental ethos
- 2010 Bronze for sustainable tourism across the South West region in the South West Tourism Excellence Awards
- 2010 Silver award for sustainable tourism in the Visit Devon Tourism Awards.
- 2010 Finalist in the Federation of Small Businesses awards, Environmental Responsibiity category
Here’s what the judges have said:
Extremely impressive. Many businesses consider how to buy green/ ethical products but Wheatland go a step further by researching the ‘upstream’ impacts and focussing on re-use and refurbishment wherever possible – combined with a focus on local. Works to great effect in the new lodge and looking to phase in the other lodges. Also promote well to guests in terms of local services. Judges’ verdict, Devon Tourism Awards 2014
‘You represent one of the highest scoring Gold Self-Catering graded during 2013 throughout the UK and Ireland, congratulations.’ GTBS
You get the comfort we’ve all come to expect and stunning surroundings. Wheatland Farm’s lifestyle package minimises consumption without just ‘bolting on’ technology for the sake of it. It’s a glimpse of the future we all hope to see, and invaluable education in winning over hearts and minds to real change in the way we live.”
Rob Buckley, of the Sustainable Building Resource Centre in Dorset.
“From the website to wildlife walks with Ian and Maggie any guest to Wheatland Farm would experience an authentic ‘green’ holiday and leave inspired, with a lighter impact behind them.”
Judges’ verdict South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2010
“Wheatland Farm provides an excellent example of how tourism can be a benefit rather than a burden. The care taken in ‘rescuing’ a precious corner of Devon’s countryside is mirrored in the efforts made to provide visitors with an enjoyable holiday that reconnects them with the natural world, and how we can live in harmony with it.”
Judges’ verdict 2011-12 South West Tourism Excellence Awards
*From 2017 we have decided to leave the Green Tourism Business Scheme. We appreciate the advice we received from the scheme in the early days but have reservations about some of their awards and also some of their expansion plans in Zimbabwe.