Awards for our low carbon holidays
Wheatland Farm Nature Reserve and Eco Lodges has been in business since 2006 and has held many awards for green Devon holidays. They confirm we offer low carbon accommodation, manage our Devon farm sustainably, promote local produce, educate people about wildlife and farming, help people access wildlife, run our business sustainably, and follow environmental good practice.
Wheatland Farm is proud of all the trophies – but we’re even more pleased when our holiday guests tell us how they’ve made a change or been inspired to think differently about sustainability. Because the climate and the biodiversity crisis need us all to make changes for the better, and green holidays can certainly be part of that.
We’re finalists in this year’s Devon Tourism Awards, Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable Category. How exciting! The awards will be announced on 28 November.
Wheatland Farm’s Past Awards
- 2019 Commended in the Self Catering Category of the Devon Tourism Awards
- 2008-2016 Gold from the Green Tourism Business Scheme (Wheatland Farm left GTBS in 2017 as we were uncomfortable with the scheme’s expansion plans)
- 2007-2015 ‘gold’ level approval from the Devon Wildlife Trust (scheme now discontinued).
- 2015 Gold in the VisitEngland awards, sustainable tourism category
- 2015 Gold in the South West Tourism Excellence Awards, sustainable tourism category
- 2014 Gold in the Devon Tourism Awards, sustainable tourism category
- 2014 Finalist in the Green Tourism Business Scheme’s Goldstar Awards
- 2012 Gold for sustainable tourism in the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence
- 2011-12 Gold for sustainable tourism across the South West region in the South West Tourism Excellence Awards
- 2011 Gold for Sustainble Tourism in the Visit Devon Tourism Awards
- 2011 Winner in the Devon Environmental Business Awards – Low Carbon Business Category
- 2011 in The Times ‘Top 20 Farm Stays’ for our environmental ethos
- 2010 Bronze for sustainable tourism across the South West region in the South West Tourism Excellence Awards
- 2010 Silver award for sustainable tourism in the Visit Devon Tourism Awards.
- 2010 Finalist in the Federation of Small Businesses awards, Environmental Responsibiity category
Here’s what the judges have said about Wheatland Farm’s eco friendly holidays over the years:
Extremely impressive. Many businesses consider how to buy green/ ethical products but Wheatland go a step further by researching the ‘upstream’ impacts and focussing on re-use and refurbishment wherever possible – combined with a focus on local. Works to great effect in the new lodge and looking to phase in the other lodges. Also promote well to guests in terms of local services. Judges’ verdict, Devon Tourism Awards 2014
‘You represent one of the highest scoring Gold Self-Catering graded during 2013 throughout the UK and Ireland, congratulations.’ GTBS
You get the comfort we’ve all come to expect and stunning surroundings. Wheatland Farm’s lifestyle package minimises consumption without just ‘bolting on’ technology for the sake of it. It’s a glimpse of the future we all hope to see, and invaluable education in winning over hearts and minds to real change in the way we live.”
Rob Buckley, of the Sustainable Building Resource Centre in Dorset.
“From the website to wildlife walks with Ian and Maggie any guest to Wheatland Farm would experience an authentic ‘green’ holiday and leave inspired, with a lighter impact behind them.”
Judges’ verdict South West Tourism Excellence Awards 2010
“Wheatland Farm provides an excellent example of how tourism can be a benefit rather than a burden. The care taken in ‘rescuing’ a precious corner of Devon’s countryside is mirrored in the efforts made to provide visitors with an enjoyable holiday that reconnects them with the natural world, and how we can live in harmony with it.”
Judges’ verdict 2011-12 South West Tourism Excellence Awards