Beech Lodge is the largest of Wheatland Farm’s three wooden eco lodges, sleeping 6 . This lodge has an optional Hot Tub.
Woodland Eco Lodge
Beech Eco lodge has trees on three sides, and two verandas. The main veranda looks south over grassland where owls often hunt at dusk and butterflies abound in summer. A smaller veranda, which catches the morning sun, overlooks the Hot Tub and leads off the master bedroom.
What qualifies Beech Lodge as an eco lodge?
Wheatland Farm’s timber lodges boast a very low carbon construction footprint, and ongoing energy requirements are minimal too. Beech Lodge is extremely well insulated, and has super efficient appliances. On top of that, all your power is 100% renewable, even for the hot tub (generated onsite with green grid back up). But that’s not the whole story. Part of what makes this an eco lodge is the way Wheatland Farm is managed for wildlife, and with a low carbon ethos. We repair rather than replace. We aim for comfort over consumption. And we look for the most sustainable option for every business decision. You’ll find much more more about Wheatland Farm’s environmental policies on our other pages. But for now, let’s tell you about what’s in Balebarn Eco Lodge itself.
Read on for more information, or check availability.
Eco Lodge Facilities
Blending with its surroundings outside, inside Beech Eco Lodge is light and airy while staying warm and comfortable. The lodge provides a low carbon holiday home surrounded by nature. Enjoy the seasons from snowdrops through to Devon’s autumn colours. At Beech Lodge you’ll find:
- Master bedroom with double bed and sliding glass doors to a private veranda with outside seating
- Twin room
- Bunk room, with sturdy handmade bunks crafted locally from reclaimed timber
- Kitchen area with microwave, electric oven, efficient induction hob, fridge freezer
- Kitchen utensils, crockery and cutlery, glasses etc.
- Table to seat six.
- Flat screen TV and cd/DVD player.
- Wifi in your lodge (but remember we’re rural – all six of you can’t stream separate movies….)
- Sofa, ‘tub chairs’ and a more upright ‘carver’ chair for anyone with less mobility. The living room area also has a coffee table fashioned from a fallen beech tree.
- Beds will be made up and towels provided.
- Bathroom with a shower over a full sized bath (Wheatland Farm’s smaller Nuthatch and Honeysuckle Eco Lodges have a short bath/shower and a shower respectively) plus toilet and basin.
- Table on the veranda, and another on the grass lawn area.
- The sort of quirky individual styling that makes a holiday a bit different – from lampshades that were once wedding hats or colanders to hand made beds and coat hooks grown in Wheatland Farm’s own hedgerows.
Beech Lodge, with hot tub
Of course, if you’re staying at Beech, you’ve chosen a lodge with a hot tub. Brilliant! If you’ve booked the tub you can relax and gaze out across the meadow towards Dartmoor. Hot tubs are hugely popular, but arguably not all that eco friendly. So to mitigate that conundrum we’ve:
- Made the hot tub optional and chargeable (£35 per stay to include towels, fresh water, 100% renewable energy, and daily checks).
- That means you’re not paying for the hot tub if you don’t want it.
- We empty and clean the hot tub between lodge bookings, so there’s no heating when the lodge is empty.
- The waste water supplies a small reedbed, adding extra wildlife habitat to Wheatland Farm.
Facilities at Wheatland Farm
When you holiday at Beech Eco Lodge you can barbeque, borrow Wheatland Farm’s bikes, take the boats out on the wildlife pond, use the outdoor chess table or the camp fire site in the lodge field (with picnic table, hand wash station and stone preparation table), play badminton, or just find one of our quiet contemplation spots. Take some time to check out our ideas for local Devon days out. We can lend local maps, tell you about our favourite places, and even take you for a guided nature walk around the farm.
Local food and supplies
A short stroll or bike ride up the road from Wheatland Farm’s eco lodges you’ll find a great farm shop and cafe at Higher Punchardon (Fiona and Andrew will deliver too, if you order ahead – we’ll send information when you book your holiday).
Winkleigh village is a mile and half away and has two good pubs, a friendly convenience store, post office, weekly fish and chip van, an eco friendly florist (go on, treat yourself) and a good local Devon butcher – the Mad Butcher of Winkleigh. But if meat isn’t your thing, live life on the veg – local farm box (localfarmbox.co.uk), a Devon based grocer, will deliver to Wheatland Farm. Or you can try Down Farm, an organic market garden mile or so outside of Winkleigh. You can buy locally grown wine at Ten Acres Vineyard, just outside Winkleigh, and the village has it’s own cider brewery and shop – Sam’s Cider, on the Hatherleigh road. Our local wine and beer merchant, Bruce from Grape and Grain in Crediton, will also be happy to deliver.
Things to do on holiday
Our website has an extensive list of things to do while you’re staying at Beech Eco Lodge, whether it’s a local walk, a day out at a North Devon beach, where to get a good icecream etc etc. We only list things with a 30 mile radius of Wheatland Farm. You can go further if you want to of course – but we think there’s masses to do right here, including lots that’s accessible by public transport.
Your eco lodge stay puts you ‘on the team’
You don’t need to be ‘super green’ to stay at Wheatland Farm – it’s for everyone (and your holiday will be comfortable, warm and ‘normal’ as well as being eco!). The only thing we really ask you to join in with is our extensive recycling. But don’t worry, it’s easy. And just by choosing one of our eco lodges you are part of a change for good – because your holiday helps pay for Wheatland Farm’s conservation management and our rewilding work. To say thanks, we’d be delighted to take you on a free wildlife walk.
An even greener Devon holiday
Wheatland Farm makes it easy to ensure your holiday is even more low impact – if you want to. For example you could take a car free day out (or even have a car free holiday!). We hope you’ll shop locally, supporting our local Devon economy. Have a look at our Visitors’ Charter for more ideas, and our Environment pages.
Holiday With Your Dog
Your dogs are welcome with us at Wheatland Farm! There’s plenty of space to exercise them, and we can recommend great walks nearby, and lend maps.
Access For All Ages And Abilities
Wheatland Farm tries to be inclusive rather than specialising in accessible accommodation. Everyone has different needs and we’re here to help. So if you need to know something specific, read our access statement for Beech Lodge, check out our Access page, or ask us a question.
Wheatland Farm ‘Small Print’
Click here to see the terms and conditions – they’re pretty standard stuff.